Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Standing Ovation

On my lunch break I turned on the tube and caught a little of Michael Jackson's memorial. I know some may be kind of overdone with Michael Jackson comments but I wanted to share something that hit me. I saw the founder of Motown Records, Barry Gordon, give his comments and he stated that the term 'king of pop' just didn't do justice but that Michael was the greatest entertainer of all time. Watching my t.v. I see thousands upon thousands of people stand applauding, giving homage to the greatest entertainer of all time. I noted my arm hairs stood a little bit just seeing this moment of thousands of people feeling the same thing at once. It hit me, the people who deserve this kind of acknoweldgement and accolade aren't getting it and they never will.

Michael Jackson was an entertainer. An Entertainer. Entertainment in and of itself has no lasting value. Entertainment is nothing. I'm not saying entertainment is wrong by any means but it can in fact do much harm. As Christians, we can become lazy and engulfed with entertainment so much so we enterain ourselves right to hell. It's true. Michael Jackson was an icon of the whole world and only God knows where he is right now. We can say for sure, biblically, if he did not receive Jesus Christ as saviour before his death he is in hell and that gives me chills.

So who really deserves these standing ovations where the world pauses to take note?

Has anyone heard of Smith Willglesworth? Or Leonard Ravenhill? Or Brother Andrew? What about Richard Wurmbrand? Or even the well-known work of Carrie Ten Boom?

In Acts 7 the story of the very first christians martyr is told. A man by the name of Stephen speaks truth as it is about Jesus Christ. It drives the 'religious' of the day crazy.Literally! They are so convicted by what stephen said and knew they were in the wrong they began nashing their teeth in anger. The pick up stones and begin to stone him to death. Where is Jesus in the midst of all this? The bible says He was standing at the right hand of God. Not sitting, STANDING! Jesus was giving his full attention to a man who was laying down his life for Christ's sake. Stephens courageous actions cause Jesus to give him an standing ovation.

As I watched the world stand and applaude the 'greatest entertainer of all time' I couldn't help but think what kind of legacy am I going to leave? I don't need tens of thousands of people applauding me. I want to be before one set of eyes. I want one pair of hands applauding me and thats Jesus. I'm not out to leave a legacy that will eventually fade away."Well done my good and faithful servant.." thats all I want. I'll cast my crown back at his feet because all glory goes to Him.

If one person was left standing in your honor who would it be?


(click the link of richard Wrumbrand for a FREE copy of His book)

3 comments:

  1. This is an AMAZING post! Thank you so much for sharing. It is true, so many people deserve to be noticed but aren't because our culture is so focused on other things. Sad. But you said it in such amazing words. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post Audrey, GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...powerful thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete